Fix: Printer Driver is Unavailable
Printers are very important aspect of our daily lives. But sometimes you may encounter some errors like “Printer driver is unavailable” that can restrict you from printing. This error indicates that the printer driver installed in your system is either not compatible or is outdated. Corruption of driver can also be a reason behind this issue.
Printer drivers are very important for printing and any issues with the drivers will restrict you from printing because the computer will not be able to get connected with the computer. Also, it’s a very common error and can be fixed easily. To fix the issue you need to follow the provided steps carefully.
How To Fix Printer Driver Issue?
Basically, there are two major fixes that can resolve the “Printer driver is unavailable” error. You can uninstall the printer from computer and install it again properly or you can update the drivers or select the appropriate driver that is compatible for your printer. Follow the below mentioned steps and get your issue resolved.
Solution 1: Uninstalling The Printer
In this solution, we will be uninstalling the printer and all associated software and reinstall it which will install the default drivers automatically.
- Press Windows + R button on your keyboard.
- Enter control in the search box and then press Enter key. This will open the Control Panel.
- From the control panel, click on the Device and Printers option
- All the printers installed in your system will be displayed here. You need to right click on the particular printer in which you are facing issue and select Remove device from the drop down list.
- Again Press Windows + R button on your keyboard and enter msc and press the Enter key.
- Now click on the Print queues category
- Right click on your printer and then select Uninstall device from the drop down list.
Note: If you’ve removed the printer from the control panel then there might be possibilities that you won’t see your printer here. You don’t have to worry just move forward.
- Press Windows + R keys on your keyboard and enter cpl and press the Enter key.
- All the installed applications will be visible here. Right click on the printer application and then click on
- Once you are done with all the steps, disconnect your printer from the computer properly and turn off your computer and printer. Also remove their power supplies.
- Wait for around 10 minutes and then turn on your computer and printer.
- Connect your printer with the system and install the required drivers.
- Now open the control panel and in the device and printers section, right click on your printer and click on Set as default printer Now try to print a test page to make sure that the issue is resolved now.
Solution 2: Reinstalling Latest Drivers Manually
In case if the first solution didn’t worked for you then you can try another solution to fix the issue. In this solution we tell you how to install the updated drivers manually. There might some instances when your printer driver is working properly but some updates in Windows or issues in the window have created this issue. This case is quite common in HP Printers. You can get in touch with the HP Printer Tech Support Number in case if you want a quick resolution of this error.
Before going on to the solution steps, you need to download the specific drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
- Press Windows + R button on your keyboard and enter msc and press the Enter key.
- Now go to the Print queues menu from the Hardware category.
- Right click on the printer hardware and then click on Update driver.
- You will get a confirmation message. Click on the Browse my computer for driver software and proceed.
Note: Sometimes the printer might not be available in the device manager. So, you can just run the installer and the driver will be installed automatically.
- Ensure that the printer is working the way it should be at this point. If yes, then go to the official Microsoft website and download diagcab package.
- Run the package and click on the Next button
- Now click on the Hide updates
- If you see any available update, select it and continue. Now the printer drivers will not automatically updated by the Windows until you allow them.